High-School-Jahr in den USA
Requirements for Eligibility:
- Between the ages of 15 and 18 and 1/2 at the beginning of the exchange
- Currently enrolled in high school in your home country
- Maturity, excellent character, good school record, high motivation, and strong English skills
- Application approval by NWSE
What is included in my program costs?
- Room and board with a carefully selected and screened volunteer host family in the USA
- Supervision by a local NWSE representative in the USA
- Enrollment in a public high school in the USA (private high schools are also available for additional tuition fees)
- Pre-departure and post-arrival orientations
- Host family orientation
- J-1 Visa Certificate of Eligibility (Form DS-2019) and SEVIS fee (Form I-901)
- Certificate of participation from NWSE (after successful completion of program and submission of evaluation)
What is not included?
- Flights, passport fees, visa application fees, and other travel expenses
- School supplies, school registration and activity fees, sports participation fees
- School lunch fees, if you decide not to pack a lunch from your host family home
- Spending money for your personal expenses (recommended: USD 200 per month)
When does the exchange program begin?
For fall-semester and academic-year exchanges, most schools begin between mid-August and mid-September; spring semester begins between mid-January and mid-February. Exchange students usually arrive 7-10 days before the first day of school.
What will I study in the USA?
In addition to the core subjects (English, math, science, and social studies), you will be able to choose from a wide range of elective subjects. Your school counselor will help you choose appropriate classes based on your age, grade level, education history, and interests. NWSE does not guarantee sports participation, graduation, or a diploma to any student, as these decisions will be made exclusively by your high school.
2020/2021 Application Deadlines & Fees
Please note:You should expect most placements to occur prior to July 2020, AND that it is not uncommon for some placements to occur until the placement deadline of August 31, 2020. For spring 2021 (second) semester applicants, placements may occur as late as January 15, 2021.
NWSE informs accepted applicants of their placements immediately after securing their school acceptance and completing the school and host family vetting processes.
2020/2021 PUBLIC SCHOOL EXCHANGE PROGRAM FEES START AT:
|Private Exchange, Direct Exchange, Sponsored Placement:||Semester||Year|
2020/2021 PRIVATE SCHOOL EXCHANGE PROGRAM FEES:
Same as above PLUS the tuition charged by the private school.
* Scholarships (“fee reductions”), based on merit and need, may be available. Insurance**, consular application and SEVIS fees not included.
** You may purchase Dept. of State-compliant Exchange Student insurance from NWSE for US$325/semester exchange, or US$575/academic year exchange.