German Exchange Award - NWSE
German Exchange Award
NorthWest Student Exchange (NWSE) offers three Student Exchange Awards (“scholarships”) to qualified U.S. high school students of German. Award winners are flown to Germany, Switzerland or Austria for a semester or school year in 2024-2025 to be immersed in German language, local life, and culture. Award winners live with a carefully selected host family and attend their host family’s local public high school/Gymnasium. Award winners participate in after-school activities to make friends, increase language skills, and experience local German-speaking and European culture. Each Award winner’s own family (or a family nominated by them) reciprocally hosts an NWSE exchange student in the United States.
Included in NWSE’s German Exchange Award
- Room and board with a carefully selected volunteer host family in a German-speaking country
- Flights to and from the main airport closest to the exchange destination
- International health/accident insurance
- Supervision by an NWSE coordinator
- Enrollment in a public high school (e.g. Gymnasium or Gesamtschule)
- Pre-departure and post-arrival orientations
- Advising throughout the application process and program
- NWSE Certificate of Participation upon successful program completion
- Current enrollment at an accredited U.S. high school
- Candidate’s family (or a local family, nominated by the candidate) must reciprocally host an NWSE exchange student
- Candidate’s local public high school must host the reciprocal NWSE exchange student
- Be between the ages of 15 and 18 at the start of the program
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0)
- Currently be studying German with successful completion of one year by the start of the program
- Motivation, personality, grades, and adaptability
- Strong recommendations from your German teacher and other teachers
Not Included in the German Exchange Award
- Passport fees and other related travel expenses
- Fee for local Residence Permit abroad (if applicable)
- German language lessons while abroad, if needed
- School supplies, fees, etc.
- School lunches (if you do not bring lunch from home)
- Personal expenses, including public transportation, spending money, etc.
Deadlines and Timeline
Currently accepting applications.