SpainBack to Exchange Countries
Spain – a vibrant country; a mix of modern and old; a place where distinct regional customs and languages thrive and where you can explore centuries of art, music and architecture. Immerse yourself in your host family’s life and at your host school. Make the modern country of Dalí and Picasso, tapas, Talgo, Las Fallas and flamenco your home for an academic semester or year.
NWSE places students throughout Spain, from Madrid in the center of Spain to smaller cities like Cadiz and Murcia on the coast. Participants must be between 15-18 years old by the start of their exchange program, have completed at least 2 years of Spanish coursework at the time of their application and have an average GPA of at least 3.0* (out of 4.0).
* NWSE may consider you for the program with a GPA below 3.0 if you can demonstrate appropriate qualifications in other areas. We are happy answer any questions about the application requirements.
The program dates below are approximate:
|Program Start||Program End|
|Academic Year Program:||mid-September||late June|
|Fall Semester Program:||mid-September||mid-January|
|Spring Semester Program:||early January||late June|
The Program Includes:
- Placement with a carefully selected host family who will provide accommodation and meals
- Health Insurance
- Supervision by a local coordinator
- 24-hour Emergency support from NWSE and NWSE’s Spain-based partner organization
- Pre-Departure Orientation
- 3 day Welcome Orientation in Barcelona with transportation from Barcelona to your host city
- Enrollment in a Spanish colegio
- NWSE Certificate of Participation with successful completion of the program
Not included in program fees:
- Round-trip airfare to Barcelona, passport fees, or other travel expenses
- Visa application costs including the costs associated with the required in-person interview at the designated Spanish Consulate closest to you
- Personal spending money (approximately $200 per month for the duration of the program)
- Lunch, if you do not pack a lunch from your host home
- School supplies, class fees or books
- Public transportation pass or transportation to and from school in Spain
Please contact NWSE for program fee information. Scholarships (“fee reductions”), based on merit and need, may be available.